On Thursday, the U.S. BEA will release fourth quarter Gross Domestic Product (GDP), the broadest measure of the value of goods and services.
- Economists surveyed by Econoday estimate 4.1% annualized growth.
- The Atlanta Fed’s GDPNow model tracks growth at 7.5%.
- Q3 came in at a record 33.4%.
Estimates are subject to change.
Interest rates are very low for safe, interest-bearing investments, and savers have found the environment to be challenging. Let’s review Figure 1. Two things stand out.
First, yields have been in a long-term downward trend. Second, rates have inched up from the bottom. Still, the 10-year Treasury does not sport an attractive yield.
Did you know—
- Almost half of all Americans do not have a 401k account.
- Two-thirds do not have an IRA (Individual Retirement Account).
- One-quarter of Americans have no retirement savings.
Source: Federal Reserve Report on the Economic Well-Being of U.S. Households in 2018
New daily Covid cases spiked higher in the fall and have remained elevated, according to data from Johns Hopkins. At over 200,000 per day, cases are roughly triple the modest spike we experienced last summer.