October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month. It was created to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity and staying safe online.
In the spirit of Cybersecurity Awareness Month, here are 7 ideas that can help keep you safe online.
Always be leery of an unsolicited text message, email, or phone call that asks you to update, check, or verify account information. Do not follow the link provided in the message itself or call the phone number provided in the message. Links may contain malware. That phone number may lead to a scammer. Instead, check with the company directly.
- Do not share personal information on social media.
- Use a good anti-virus program and keep it updated; keep your operating system and Internet browser updated with the latest security patches.
- Do not open any attachments unless you are expecting the file.
- Be extra suspicious of any message that urges immediate action.
- Examine the email address and website address in all correspondence. Scammers often mimic a legitimate site or email address to trick their victims.
- Back up important data and use strong passwords.
While many things are secure online, please use common sense when engaging with email, social media, and the Internet.
Avoid becoming a victim. Stay alert and don’t let your guard down.